It’s that time of the year, folks.
If you didn’t start your plants from seed or you could use a few more seedlings to round out your garden plantings, this sale is not to be missed.
Concordia’s City Farm School interns have been busy. This year there will be more than 140 varieties of organic heirloom veggie, herb and flower seedlings available, offering incredible choices for gardeners. The greenhouse is a non-profit entity, is largely student-funded and plays a big role in Montreal’s urban agriculture landscape.
The sale is not just about veggies, herbs and flowers. You’ll also find:
- seeds for direct sowing
- small bags of soil and compost
- mushroom and sprout growing kits for indoors
- fruit and permaculture plants via Jonah Neumark of Neumark Design. See details here.
Prices for vegetable, herb and flower seedlings range from $1 to $5, while houseplants sell for between $2-$30.
Some survival tips:
- Get there as early as possible. It’s no fun to come by later in the day only to learn everything is sold out or the plants you want are gone.
- Bring a box or boxes (ideally) or a sturdy bag or bin to hold plants. You may also want to bring some extra plant containers (the ones seedlings are often sold in, for instance) in case you end up with a plant that doesn’t have a sturdy container to begin with and you don’t want to end up with the plant escaping its pot, wilting and leaving dirt everywhere.
- It’s cash only. Bring extra moolah, you will probably walk out with more plants than you expected to buy.
- Bring some water to drink. It can be very hot in the greenhouse, especially when there’s a crowd.
- Don’t forget to bring a sense of humour. Some plants are labeled right but some will be missing their labels, people can be aggressive about claiming plants and it can be crowded.
When: Friday, May 15, 2015 and Saturday May 16, 2015, 10 a,m. to 7 p.m. (as long as supplies last).
Where: Concordia Greenhouse, Hall Building, 1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W. , 13th floor (take the elevator as far as you can go, to the 12th floor, then look out for signs leading to the staircase that takes you to the greenhouse).